David Cameron has trumpeted his Government’s ‘huge, historic’ redefinition of marriage. His most recent video message, filmed to mark Pride in London, is a slap in the face to ordinary people who sincerely believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. Our rights will be infringed.
If you want to see our Prime Minister at his most passionate – boasting of redefining marriage, and his willingness to use taxpayers' hard-earned money to promote same-sex marriage abroad – watch this.
Civil liberty not protectedDavid Cameron has brushed off concerns that people will be damaged in their careers, businesses or in their dealings with the public sector because of their support for traditional marriage.
The Coalition for Marriage has heard of a case where adoption proceedings were halted merely because of a couple's belief in traditional marriage. Although legal intervention eventually helped to resolve the issue, the need for clearer civil liberty protections is obvious.
When it comes to same-sex marriage, the Prime Minister has strongly opposed conscience rights for public employees or the self-employed.
But even the Deputy President of the Supreme Court, Lady Hale, now questions the laws which go further than required by the EU. She has argued that Parliament should look at a reasonable accommodation law. This could better protect owners of B & Bs, wedding planners, florists, or wedding-cake bakers who conscientiously object to same-sex marriage. The Government opposes this idea which works well in many other countries.
Contact your MP todayPlease email your MP.
Use your own words
Say the Government is ignoring people like you who believe in traditional marriage.
If you voted Conservative at the last election, say so.
Use two or three points below in your own words.
Ask your MP to:
- Tell the Prime Minister that rather than promoting gay marriage around the world, he should do more to protect the rights of those who disagree with his legislation.
- Press the Government for a reasonable accommodation law, like that proposed by Lady Hale from the Supreme Court.
- Accept there are real concerns that people who support traditional marriage will be damaged in their careers. What about their rights?
- Tell David Cameron he should protect married couples who want to foster or adopt children. They shouldn’t be required to back gay marriage as part of the interview process.
- Press for changes in legislation so that self-employed people who believe in traditional marriage should no longer be fined and punished because of their beliefs.